Thursday, February 4, 2010

Floribbean Day 1















Today was a day filled with citrusy goodness, which my burnt fingers were not a fan of. We had hearts of Palm salad, the dressing that the recipe called for was almost completely mayo, needless to say it was disgusting. So we made a lemon vinegrette instead.
We made corn custard which from reading the recipe I thought was going to be gross, but it was quite enjoyable. A mixture of creamed corn and quiche. Quite tasty in fact, I don't know if I will ever make it again, but at least it didnt suck.
Our protien for the day was supposed to be pan seared grouper, but we didn't have any grouper available and pan searing things is not the healthiest alternative when cooking fish. So instead we had grilled tilapia with a tropical fruit relish. It was awesome! The relish called for a red wine vinegar dressing, but it was a little too sour compared to the fruit, so I added some honey for a little more sweetness.
And last, but definitely not least was my famous Key Lime Pie. Chef Pam said it was the best in the class. It better be, not only have I been making key lime pie since I was little, but apon discovering it in Key West on vacation one year I became obsessed. Pretty much where I found my passion for baking. Graham cracker crust made with brown sugar and cinnamon instead of the granulated sugar most recipes call for, and the whipped cream with key lime juice is the icing on the cake, haha.
it was gone in 10 minutes, the entire class loved it
Hope you enjoyed the first taste of the Floribbean!

No comments:

Post a Comment